Loot Crate is a company that lovingly provides what may colloquially be referred to as “geek boxes” in online forums and among lovers of all things tech, TV and game-related. These “geek boxes” are actually subscription services that send predominately gaming-related items to people’s homes for a recurring fee, though other technology gadgets, apparel, toys, and more may be included as well.
With Loot Crate, you can choose between a variety of different monthly subscriptions offering items that fall into the pop culture, gaming, film and TV and sci-fi and fantasy categories. These crates start at $19.99 per month, but some customers choose to add more features to their crate or bundle their standard monthly purchase with limited-time offerings.
If you’re looking for a little more entertainment at home, Loot Crate could be an ideal option for you. Keep reading to learn more about Loot Crate and the pros and cons of the service.
The History of Loot Crate
Founded in 2002 by Chris Davis and Matthew Arevalo, Loot Crate began as a way to provide customers interested in the annual Comic-Con festival with a subscription box that would meet their interests. While the Comic-Con audience was their initial target, the company quickly realized they could meet the demands of people interested in a wide range of related media, including pop culture, sci-fi and fantasy, gaming and more general film and TV.
Loot Crate grew quickly, and by the end of 2016, just two years after the company began, they had more than 200,000 monthly subscribers in 10 countries all over the world. In 2016, Loot Crate was listed as one of the fastest growing companies by Inc. Today, the company continues to expand, meeting niche gaming and media demands while reaching further into the mainstream and attracting new customers with more varied interests.
Loot Crate Pros
Loot Crate gets high marks from almost everyone who opts to begin a monthly subscription with them. Here are some of the most common pros you’ll find when checking reviews about Loot Crate and their unique subscription boxes:
• Excellent pricing. Most customers find that they get a lot of items in their box for the cost of their subscription. This may be related to the fact that the company has more buying power since they have many subscribers, allowing them to buy goods in bulk or at discounted prices.
• Unique items. Customers rave about the special items that show up in their Loot Crate boxes. Some products are available as retail items, while others may be harder to find if you’re not a Loot Crate member.
• All items are relevant to the box. There are few complaints about items that don’t fit within the appropriate box theme.
• A variety of box choices. Some customers are interested in video games, while others are interested in sci-fi and fantasy. Others may be interested in pop culture. Loot Crate offers a wide variety of boxes so you can find one that satisfies your craving.
• The company offers coupons for special edition items and limited edition extras. Regular users love this feature since it allows them to add items to their box without spending a lot of money.
Loot Crate Cons
Most Loot Crate reviews you can read online will tell you that the service is a 10 out of 10. Not all reviews are positive though. Here are some of the potential cons some users complain about when subscribing to Loot Crate:
• Upper-tier and more expensive boxes don’t always meet the right cost/value proportion. Some users claim that the more cost-effective boxes are a better buy than the more costly special or limited edition boxes.
• Special edition boxes don’t always hit the target in terms of items included. Some users have reported that a few odd or ill-fitting items were included. These items did not match the theme or seemed out of place to a certain segment of subscribers.
• The company offers too many choices and add-ons. While many users love the add-ons that you can get with your Loot Crate subscription, others find it a little bit irritating, and like they are being sold to each and every month even though they are already a subscriber.
Loot Crate Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a subscription service that offers monthly TV and film, gaming, pop culture or sci-fi, and fantasy options, Loot Crate could be an ideal option for you. Reviews are glowing for the most part, and even customer complaints often feel like nitpicking. With the goal and target market so specific for each box, it’s hard for Loot Crate to completely miss the mark, especially with a relatively low starting price of $19.99 per month.
Of course, there are other similar subscription boxes out there, so take your time and do your homework before shopping. Or try Loot Crate and see if you love it! It’s easy to cancel since every box can be ordered on a month-to-month plan.
Advertising Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links and at no additional cost to you, Watch the Review will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on these links.